Saturday 3 May 2014

Being Lippy



Evening Beauties!

Happy Easter (I'm a little early I know!). This week has been very hectic for me - birthday and exam season is upon us! All this rushing about has meant I've let myself down on the pampering front, and its about time I get back to looking human! So this week I'm focusing on lips, with two quick and easy lip-fixing lovelies, did I mention it all homemade?! Oh yes, I'm being extra stingy this week!! All the items I used are very cheap and cheerful and most you'll have lying around the house (or in my case, lying around my Moms house - thanks Mom!)

Lush-alike Lip Scrub

Interesting Angle I Know!
I love lush, its such a cute amazing store but my bank account does not love lush! Even though the products are so so so good, it does tend to cost the price of an outfit to have a nice lushy bath! The lip scrub is a product I particularly enjoy, because I think it really does work, however at £4.50 a pot, I think its time for an alternative! The best thing about this recipe is that you can make soooooo many pots for less than the price of one lip scrub - so lets get making!







To make your scrub you'll need; Caster sugar, Olive oil, Flavouring (I went for vanilla), colouring (I was feeling summery so went with yellow), a bowl a spoon and a little pot to keep it in. 

In your bowl add one or two teaspoons of the sugar, two teaspoons makes just over two pots of scrub. Then add a teaspoon of oil for every tea spoon of sugar! Give them a good stir to make that very unsavoury looking off yellow mix (it gets better I swear!). Then add two drops of the colouring, and two drops of the flavouring - if you add too much don't worry, you just need to add a tiny bit of sugar when its all mixed to get the right consistency. Give it one last mix until you reach the sandy scrubby loveliness, and go ahead and pot it up! Voilà! One sort-of lush like lip scrub! Finally lick you lips and apply a generous helping and give them a good scrub!


Handy little pictorial just to help you (hopefully)

Balms Away!

Now once you've scrubbed away to reveal beautiful soft lips, it's time to moisturise the hell out of them! There are so so sooooo many different brands and balms out there but I can never find one that has the smell and colour I want, so I've started making them. In the long run it saves you a fair bit of money as well -  one large pot of Vaseline costs £2.65 and makes quite a few, rather then £2 each time your little balm pot runs out!


What you'll need! I managed to choose a colour identical to my background - Well Done Lynds!

So to make your lip balm (starting to feel like I'm on art attack now - if only I was that cool!!!) you will need pure petroleum jelly, or Vaseline whichever you can get your hands on, honey again any type will do (this is such a moisture saviour), some flavouring (strawberry this time!), some colouring - either some eyeshadow, lipstick or other makeup product in the colour you want. Also a bowl and a spoon and a pot (I frantically search for my pot post picture taking!)

Scoop one spoonful of Vaseline into the bowl and add teaspoon of honey (warming the honey a little before helps) and then wack that mixture in the microwave for 30-40 seconds, just to melt it a bit. You then want to mix it together really well to make it quite smooth. Add two drops of flavouring, anymore than that leaves a film of flavouring on the top - i found out the hard way! Then scrap half of the colour into the bowl and give it a good old mix, if you want the colour to be bolder add the other half. Keep mixing until its nice and smooth, then add to the pot. Pop in the fridge for 40 mins just so it set and then you have you very own homemade moisture pot!!!


Defiantly should've used a different colour bowl - doh!


I hope this post inspires you to make you own lip pampering products - more homemade products to come!!!

This Sunday is my 21st birthday (Yay, I'm getting older!), so if anyone would like to see a 'face of my birthday'  style tutorial please let me know, either tweet me or comment below! Feel free to follow if you want to be notified every time I babble away!!

Thanks for reading!

See you soon

Lynds xx



No comments:

Post a Comment